Saturday, March 6, 2010

N-O Spells MIRACLE

As I was reading through the gospels, I couldn't help but notice that the first miracle Jesus performed (water into wine) is preceded by a big fat "NO" to a request. Mary asks Jesus to do something about the wine crisis and Jesus says it ain't his time (btw, the first 'yes' in the Bible brought sin into the world). In the book of Luke, there's a big shift in Jesus' focus half way through the story as he begins to "head towards Jerusalem." He begins saying no, and focuses on his forthcoming crucifixion.

I'm realizing that every amazing work begins with a NO. Maybe I should begin my day by saying no to anything that is not of Him and focus only on the things He wants me to do (if I can figure what that is).

This "No" principle has interesting implications - If this is how God works, then when we ask God for a miracle and He says, "nope!" then maybe he's brewing up something else that's a greater miracle. Maybe the reason he said "no" to one opportunity is because He wants us to experience a greater opportunity. When Sarai was barren (no to babies), God was preparing Isaac. When God said no to Paul (re: going to Asia), He was preparing him for a world-changing mission trip to Europe. When Jesus said no to the devil's temptations (no to bread, no to power, and no to false teachings), Jesus conquered a multitude of sins.

For the past 5 years or so, I've been learning to say no. It's hard. But marvelous.

No comments:

Post a Comment